My Prayer Corner

My Prayer Corner
its not a shrine...just a reminder for prayer

About Me

Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Saturday, June 9, 2007

Vacation, Days 5 & 6

So, I know that I suffer for the Lord at times... :) but now is NOT one of those times! Here is my friend's apartment complex where I am staying. I have spent many hours in the pool and hot tub.





So, yesterday I went on a long bike ride (~80 miles?) down to the ocean on the Rio Hondo/Angeles Bikeway. I had two great disappointments: #1. Long Beach is NOT a beach, apparently. It is a harbor. #2. The Mighty Rio Hondo...is on the left here. It is about one inch deep. ha ha ha. I highly recommend this bikeway if one doesn't mind the urban-esque sites (graffiti, shanty villages, homeless, and factories) Which reminds me, I saw a homeless woman who has the same backpack as me...is it time for me to update? It is only a 16-year old backpack...

But, it is deep enough to support a lot of wildlife. I saw loads of ducks, seagulls, sandpipers, pelican(y) birds (I must find out what those were), and here is one of many cranes that I saw.



Eventually, as one approaches the ocean, an actual river appears. It smelled salty, so I am guessing this is largely saltwater "backwash" -- is that possible?





I also saw my first hummingbird in the "wild". At first I thought it was a flying cockroach, but it wasn't! These are not the ones I saw, but I thought this building was funky.





I also saw loads of riders, including this cowboy. :)







So, this is what greeted me on the end of my long journey...a very nice harbor...just no beach. sigh.






After I got home, Migum, Blas, and I had some Thai food and then went to Coldstone Creamery. Here is a picture of him calling the bus: "Come here bus, Come here!" He is very cute and sweet and 2.

Today we went to The Grove for breakfast with our friend Eun-hyey, rode the bus with Blas, did a little shopping...and then on our way to the beach, we locked our keys in the trunk of her car...sigh. So, we spent the rest of the day meeting a variety of servicemen who eventually helped us to get home and get into the car. But, no beach. :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so did you know about flying cockroaches before you visited Austin? ;)

sounds like you're having so much fun! i'm so glad for you. :)