My Prayer Corner

My Prayer Corner
its not a shrine...just a reminder for prayer

About Me

Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Biking in Austin


I don't see these guys every day on bike rides around Pittsburgh! This was a little one that I almost sat on when I took a...break. :)

Yesterday I took a long bike ride around Austin. I was able to rent a ridiculously nice bike, a LeMond Buenos Aires with a carbon fiber frame. The wind was equally ridiculous and so I nearly was blown off the road a couple of times. A girl at the bike shop said that a race began along the river with 70 Category 1 & 2 riders...but only finished with 20...at full steam they were able to pedal only 9 miles an hour, so I guess they just gave up. I really enjoyed riding around the near west side on Red Bud Rd. where there are lots of little hills (like Pittsburgh) and some great modern architecture. When coming down off of the hill, Red Bud deposits you downtown along the river, and best of all -- at Whole Foods.

Apparently the Whole Foods here is the original deal. It even has an escalator! And, unlike Pennsylvania, one can buy beer and wine in the store and drink it with the hundreds of deli options.

Today I needed a short recovery ride and so I spent some time at the Veloway. I loved the lack of traffic and being able to challenge myself to faster times, quicker gear changes and flying by the very fit biker guys. :) I also loved thinking about friends from Team Caffeine who were biking in 34 degree weather. So sad. It feels good to have a little bit of a sunburn.

So, all in all this trip to Austin for work and biking was very nice. Tomorrow I'll try to get in a short jog before heading back to the airport. Hopefully this time I'll get back to Pittsburgh in 3 flights or less! I'll have to remember to keep my coat unpacked. :(

No comments: