My Prayer Corner

My Prayer Corner
its not a shrine...just a reminder for prayer

About Me

Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Friday, February 2, 2007

Day 26, Vacations are Wonderful

I love vacations. They are a relatively new phenomenon to me.

Others seemed to take to them naturally, often taking those cool spring break trips, but I was always working. In fact, there hasn't been a time since I was of legal working age (13) that I wasn't working nearly fulltime +. So, not to bemoan my poor state, but just to say that I never really caught on to how to "vacate".

I've had some friends over the years show me the ropes. In fact, Mike, Shayna, Toby and I just had our 3rd winter vacation together. On our first trip we went to the Poconos where I almost met my death at the hands of two pieces of plastic attached to my feet. Ever since my Wisconsin roots kicked in and saved the day, I have had a love affair with downhill skiing.

There are very few moments in life that could say that I have felt pure joy. Skiing in beautiful places has been just one of those. This year we went to Jasper in the Canadian Rockies. Since I haven't been on skis in a year (it has been too warm here in PA), I decided to take a class. I was glad I did because I was finally able to ski "black" runs. Not well, and not without fear...but I could ski them! This made me able to start at the top of the mountain and mosey my way down any run my fancy drew me to. I can't wait to go back.

Our vacation had many other highlights including two adorable baby boys, game playing with friends, drinking Starbucks in book stores, arguing, watching Heroes, eating lots of yummy snacks, discussing, laughing, and a hike in the beautiful and frozen Moligne Canyon.

Now...to start plotting my next getaway! :)

1 comment:

Arthur said...

I love Chloe. She fed me lunch. Even while on sabbatical.

I twisted my knee badly going down a Blue on my first ski trip. Never been back since. You should coach me. :)

I haven't really vacated in a while, in the sense of traveling, snapping pics, and contributing to the pockets of postcard sellers. Spend my year's allotment going home to be with my parents; that's ironic, going home to vacate. And IV took up my latter two spring breaks of college. And I'm frugal to the point of stinginess. I need to relearn how to take a vacation.