My Prayer Corner

My Prayer Corner
its not a shrine...just a reminder for prayer

About Me

Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Friday, May 4, 2007

Tastebud Delights

While my friend Theresa was here, I got to try out a couple of new recipes. I share one here from The Joy of Cooking -- very tasty if I do say so myself!

Couscous with Chickpeas (4 servings)
Heat in a large skillet over medium heat:
3 tablespoons olive oil
Add:
1 cup sliced blanched almonds
Cook, stirring, just until lightly golden, 2-3 minutes.
Add:
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Cook, stirring for about 1 minute. Stir in:
1 tsp. sweet or hot paprika
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 to 1 tsp. hot red pepper sauce (don't worry, it doesn't get very spicy)
Cook until heated through, about 1 minute more. Stir in:
2 1/2 c. chicken or vegetable stock or water
2 c. cooked chickpeas (about 2/3 c. dried), rinsed and drained if canned
1 c. chopped raisins or dried currants (I put the raisins in whole...they were fine)
Bring to a boil and stir in:
1 1/4 c. quick-cooking couscous
Cover, remove from the heat, and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork.

What I loved about this is that it is a great healthy side dish, but from prep to table it only took about 15 minutes! Enjoy!

No comments: